It's important for a property to make the best possible impression for prospective buyers and their agents, too. There are many things that can interfere with a first impression:
- lawn that needs mowed or edged
- untrimmed hedges and shrubs
- dead and dying plants
- grease or oil spots on the driveway
- peeling paint
- anything that looks old or worn
- worn carpets and drapes
- soiled windows, kitchen and baths
- pet and smoking odors
- peeling paint, smudges or marks on walls
A comparatively small investment in time, money and effort to remove these distractions can lead to stronger offers from buyers.
Once you've taken care of any details, you will need to focus on how to show off your house to make the best impression every time it is viewed by prospective buyers, whether it is at an open house, or by a scheduled showing. Here are a few easy tips to help your property look better:
- Remove toys, newspapers, yard tools, or any other clutter.
- Tidy up and pick up after pets.
- Park any vehicles in the garage or on the street; leave the driveway clear.
- Add color with flowers and potted plants.
- Make beds, clean up dishes, empty wastebaskets.
- Remove clutter throughout; organize closets and cupboards, put away toys.
- Set out "show towels" in bathrooms.
- Freshen the air with potpourri or baked bread/cookies aroma; deodorize pet areas; set comfortable temperature.
- Do quick vacuuming and dusting.
- Arrange fresh flowers throughout the home.
- Light a fire in the fire place (when appropriate).
- Turn off the television; play soft background music.
- Open drapes and shades; turn on lights
These are just a few of the things that you can or should do to make your house show off its best features. Your Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Kathy Reid Realty professional will work with you and give you more ideas to help make your house look great.