A Smooth Transition to Your New Home
Many details need to be taken care of in order for a home purchase to be completed. It can take anywhere from 15-90 days or more to complete all the steps involved in a home sale, depending on the complexity of the transaction. We will work closely with everyone involved in the transaction to help ensure that it moves ahead as smoothly as possible. We will explain to you in detail all the steps that will occur, and answer any question that you might have.
We also work with the seller's broker to see that they fulfill their responsibilities under the contract. Communication is key to making the transaction go smoothly so we will stay in touch with the settlement officer, the title officer, the lender and any others that we need to in order to help coordinate their activities and keep the transaction moving forward. Of course, that communication will be shared with you at all times so that you can stay informed and as worry-free as possible.
Here are some other things to consider as you make the move to your new home. If needed, we can suggest local professionals for any services needed:
4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Contact and contract with a reputable moving company.
- Have school records transferred.
- Arrange transfer of medical, dental & other records if needed.
- Prepare for transfer of homeowners and auto insurance.
- Hold a garage sale to get rid of unneeded items, or arrange to donate them.
- Keep track of moving-related expenses.
- Check with your accountant to find out what expenses may be deductible on your taxes.
3 Week Before Your Move
- Obtain and mail change-of-address cards to the post office, subscriptions, credit card companies and important contacts.
2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Arrange for final utility reading at your former residence the day after your move, and have utilities put in your name or turned on at your new home for the day of transfer or however arranged with seller.
- Close or transfer bank accounts, or change the address record.
- Terminate newspaper delivery.
- Arrange or schedule for transfer of vehicle and driver's license.
Week of Your Move
- Keep valuable financial records, personal papers and medications with you; do not pack them with the rest of your household goods.
- On closing day, the home purchase documents are recorded, and the home is yours!
- Get the keys and move in!
- We will schedule a final walk through of your new home to make sure everything is in order.
After You Move In
- Review home security requirements and systems.
- Review home warranty coverage and how to call for repairs.
- Consider plans for landscaping design, installation and maintenance.
- New home furnishings, appliances and interior decorating will help make the house your home!
- Enjoy your new home!